life is always about the journey...

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Metallic Fall Accents!


I love the colors of Fall...gorgeous rusts, reds, oranges, and golds...beautiful!
And I like to add some sparkle, bling and metallics into my decorating as well.
So I needed some metallic pumpkins for my foyer table.

I looked around and the ones I saw were either too big or not the right metallic.
So what do you do?  You make your own.

CONVERSATION IN MY HOUSE:
This is my daughter looking at something in a magazine or store: "Mom, I love these...aren't they pretty?"
Mom (me) answers "Yup, but I can make it cheaper and better!"
Daughter:  {rolls her eyes}
BUT ITS TRUE...you can usually make it cheaper and better and perfect for your space or taste.
And I have a bunch of projects coming to prove it ;)



So I got some pumpkins...$2 for these 5 mini pumpkins.
Now if you find mini plastic pumpkins, those would work too...I couldn't find any
so I went with the real thing.  I taped off the stems because I wanted those to look real.
But you could paint them as well...that's up to you!
(if you go real, clean them off & dry well before painting)

Linking this to Stone Gable's Tutorials & Tips Linky Party



And I bought two cans of Metallic Rust-o-leum Spray Paint
in "Aged Bronze" and "Hammered Copper" at Lowes.
Above shows the hammered copper...it dries to a textured finish which I like.
Total of $11 for both cans of paint and I used maybe a 1/4 of each can.
(so lots left for other fun projects)
I had to spray them a few times to coat...use thin coats each time so you don't get yucky drips.




This is my foyer area...more on that in the next post and some other things I made.
My demilune table is from Ethan Allen...its one of my fave pieces of furniture..we've had it for about 10 years.
I went with a gold, copper and aged bronze mix...warm colors that mix and match well.
The frame ($4) and copper urn ($8) are from HomeGoods.




Aren't they purty?  I love the pretty shine and warm colors...much less harsh than
the usual pumpkin orange.  I love that they match the gems in my frame too.




Shiny, Pretty, Metallic...yup I love 'em!
Easy to do...and in ANY COLOR your lil' heart chooses too!
I'm painting up some white ones with a special treatment for my dining room...more on those soon!

So remember you don't have to have pumpkin orange, purple and black as your Halloween and Fall colors..mix it up and try something new.
Paint is cheap and makes a HUGE IMPACT even on something small like these pumpkins.

Its as simple as a spray paint in your fave color.  And they come in ALL kinds of colors now.
Some brands even offer a primer built in.  Lowes has a huge selection of pretty colors!
I can't even tell you how many projects are almost complete or finished that I have coming that take a simple can of spray paint.  I'm an ADDICT :)

This project got featured on:
I was featured on Practically Functional!

Have You Spray Painted Anything Lately?
****

I'm entering this into the following linky parties:






Share:

9 comments

  1. those r cute. real cute. i resprayed my address numbers a couple months ago and would like to try spray painting my range hood so it matches my stove. liz s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowee! These are simply fabulous, Suzanne. And they look lovely on your foyer table. Never tried painting real pumpkins with metallic spray paint but they make a huge impact. Gorgeous!
    Hugz,
    Cathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute twist on a fall decoration...just gorgeous! This would be great to link up to Create It Thursday #21…it's live now! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! I love the metallic colors with the normal little stem on them, how fun! Pinning this, and thanks for sharing at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I featured this on my blog today! Grab a Featured button if you don't already have one! http://practicallyfunctional.com/10-simple-fall-decorations/

      Delete
  5. These are really cute! Nice twist on plain pumpkins. -Michele @ Neat Little Nest

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the metal tone pumpkins. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these, Suzanne! This is such an easy way to bring a little sophistication to your pumpkins. Sophisticated pumpkins lol! Thanks so much for sharing at our Get Your DIY on Fall Party Challenge! This Sunday at 7:00 pm EST starts our new theme, chalkboard projects. I hope you can join us again!
    XO, Christy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig