life is always about the journey...

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Italiano!


I love me some Italian food and I married an Italian guy because of it too!
WAIT!!!!  
WHAT??

No I'm just kidding...my hubby IS half Italian but I didn't marry him because he was.  
The man can barely cook, I mean c'mon LOL!
But we all enjoy some good Italian food in our house that's for sure.
And its always best when made from scratch!

I thought I'd share my simple & quick Chicken Parmesan with Roasted Tomato Sauce
with you all today!  And pretty healthy as well (well minus the cheese lol) but other than that its fairly Paleo friendly too!



One of my favorite ways to cook up a good hearty tomato sauce is by roasting some tomatoes (I like to use a mix of cherry and larger tomatoes) with some garlic, salt & pepper, olive oil, balsamic, brown sugar and a bit of hot red peppers to give it a good kick.  
After they've roasted up, put them in a blender and puree into your sauce.
{recipes are below}


I like to buy the thinner chicken breasts for my Chicken Parmesan.  They cook up faster and you don't have to waste time beating them down...course if you need to expel some bad juju then go right ahead and bang those chicken breasts into thinner pieces LOL!  I cook mine up in a skillet with olive oil and fresh herbs when I can to get a head start on the cooking. Then I layer everything into my baking pan, top with sauce & cheese and store it in the fridge until I'm ready to cook it up for dinner.  Easy to make ahead and tastes soooo good!



Roasted Tomato Sauce

1 - 1.5 lbs of tomatoes 
1/4 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBS brown sugar
1/2 cup of Olive Oil
3-4 cloves of Garlic Smashed
A few snips of fresh Thyme, Basil & Parsley
(use dried herbs if you have no fresh on hand)
Salt & Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes for kick

Mix up all the ingredients in a small bowl except for the tomatoes.  Place tomatoes in a glass or stone pan (not metal) and drizzle mixture on top. Roast at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.  Once roasted pour the tomatoes and sauce into your blender and puree.  Add salt/pepper to taste as needed.



Chicken Parmesan

4-8 Chicken Breasts (thin cuts)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Mix in a small bowl Olive Oil and seasonings and dip chicken breasts in mixture.
Heat skillet and brown each side of chicken quickly, no more than 1-2 mins on each side.
Then place chicken breasts in a greased baking dish, pour roasted tomato sauce on top, and cover with shredded cheeses.  Cover with foil and cook at 400 degs for 15 mins, then remove foil and cook last 5 mins to melt cheeses well.



Bon Appetit!

Entering into the following Linky Parties:

AKA Designs / Weekend re-Treat


*****

WINNER of the Parking Tix
(sorry I'm behind on this)

Kim of "My Pink Tiara" 
has won a pack of my parking tickets LOL!
Email me at sjdean@smartneighborhood.net with your mailing address so I
can ship them out ASAP to you!


And if you would like your very own parking tickets...Amazon has them right here below!
Citation those idiots away I say ;)



Share:

3 comments

  1. The recipes look extra yummy! As soon as I saw the parking tickets on your blog I knew I HAD to have them so I ordered them from Knock Knock and they're cheaper there (only $4.50!). http://knockknockstuff.com/product/parking-citation-nifty-note/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks good, Suzanne. I don't mind beating down my chicken breasts, a great stress reliever. LOL
    Hugz,
    Cath

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig